Open Records Policy
Open Records Requests will be processed according to the following policy:
- A request should be submitted in writing, and will need to include the following elements:
- The name, address, and signature of the person submitting the request.
- A description of the records to be copied or inspected.
- A phone number and/or email address is not required but may help process your request.
The request should be sent to the Franklin County Clerk at:
315 W. Main Street,
Frankfort KY 40601
The request may be hand-delivered, mailed or sent via fax to (502) 875-8718, during regular office hours.
- A determination will be made within three (3) working days from the date an application is received (excepting Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays) regarding approval of the request, and the requestor will be notified in writing of the decision within the three (3) day period.
- Applicants requesting copies of public records for a commercial purpose KRS 61.874 must provide a certified statement to the Franklin County Clerk stating the commercial purpose for which the records will be used. If approved, applicants will be required to enter into a contract with the Franklin County Clerk. The contract will state the fee required by the Franklin County Clerk to produce the copies, including labor and production costs.
- Certain items may be excluded in whole or in part if they contain exempted information as prescribed under KRS 61.878.
- The Franklin County Clerk’s office is funded by collecting statutory fees. Accordingly, copies of records are first subjected to the fee schedules established by KRS 64.012 and KRS 64.019. Otherwise, copies will be charged at:
- Non-commercial document requests $ .50 per copy
- Non-commercial recordings, computer discs, tapes $5.00 per copy
- All fees, including postage if necessary, must be paid in advance.
Emailed requests will not be accepted.