Marriage License – $50

List of Wedding Officials

Marriage License Requirements

  1. Applicants must apply for the license together and must complete a worksheet prior to arrival, which can be downloaded here.
  2. Both must be 18 years old or older.
  3. There is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.
  4. The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
  5. The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
  6. Both parties must present an acceptable form of ID, such as a driver’s license, government-issued picture ID, original birth certificate, or passport. (non-U.S. citizens will need an original birth certificate and passport or government ID)
  7. There is a $50.00 fee for the license. Checks shall be made payable to Franklin County Clerk, or credit card/debit card (minimal processing fee) are accepted. No cash, please.

Marriage with person under age 18 (Effective July 14, 2018)

The following requirements must be met prior to issuing a marriage license if the applicant is under 18:

  1. A minor who is 17 years of age may petition the Family Court in the county which the minor resides for an order granting permission to marry.
  2. At least 15 days must have elapsed since the court order was granted before applying for the marriage license.
  3. A certified copy of the court order must be presented when applying for the marriage license.

NOTE: Kentucky does not marry minors if either party is under 17 years of age and/or whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Marriage License FAQ’s

Do I need to make an appointment to get a marriage license?
Do you need a Kentucky ID to get a Marriage License?
We accept any government-issued ID.
Who may solemnize a marriage?
Ministers or priests in regular communion with any religious society;

Judges, county judges/executive, justice of the peace; View wedding officials

A religious society that has no minister and who solemnizes marriages at the usual place of worship, if either party belongs to the society.

KRS Chapter 402 has further information concerning marriage license laws.

We are unable to perform your ceremony at the County Clerk’s Office.

Do ministers need to be bonded?
No. The law that required this was repealed in 1994.
If we are getting married in another state, where can we get the license?

You must get the license in the state where you are getting married. The license we issue must be used in Kentucky.

We got married out of the country, do we need to register it in your office?

No. The country where you got married should send you its official certificate. The County Clerk’s office only records licenses that it issues.

How do I change my name after I get married?

You will need to take the marriage certificate that we mail to you to the social security office.

Do I have to change my name?

No, but you still need to inform the social security office of your marital status.

Where do I obtain copies of divorce records?
At the Circuit Courthouse. Direction to the courthouse
Do I need to bring my divorce papers?
No. You need only to bring your government-issued ID.
Payments Accepted:

Certified check, cashier’s check, money order, personal check, Visa, Discover, AMX or MasterCard.

Skip to content