Open Records Policy
Open Records Requests will be processed and responded to according to the following policy:
- Must be a Kentucky Resident
- Non-commercial use
If commercial use – must precisely describe
- Precisely describe the requested information.
If you meet the above qualifiers, you may submit the written open records request form by hand delivery, mail, facsimile, or email to:
Franklin County Clerk Open Records Request
315 W. Main Street
Frankfort KY 40601
Fax: (502) 875-8718
You may also contact the Franklin County Clerk’s Office at 502-875-8702.
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
The Franklin County Clerk is responsible for holding records, not conducting research. You may research records in person or send a researcher during normal business hours.
- Certain items may be excluded in whole or in part if they contain exempted information as prescribed under KRS 61.878
- The Franklin County Clerk’s office is funded by collecting statutory fees. Accordingly, copies of records are first subjected to the fee schedules established by KRS 64.012 and KRS 64.019. Otherwise, copies will be charged at:
- Non-commercial document requests $ .50 per copy
- Non-commercial recordings, computer discs, tapes $5.00 per copy
- A phone number and/or email address is not required but may help process your request.
- A determination will be made within five (5) working days from the date an application is received (excepting Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays) regarding approval of the request, and the requestor will be notified in writing of the decision within the five (5) day period.
- Applicants requesting copies of public records for a commercial purpose KRS 61.874 must provide a certified statement to the Franklin County Clerk stating the commercial purpose for which the records will be used. If approved, applicants will be required to enter into a contract with the Franklin County Clerk. The contract will state the fee required by the Franklin County Clerk to produce the copies, including labor and production costs.
- All fees, including postage if necessary, must be paid in advance.
Standard Recording Fees
Effective January 1, 2020
* Add $3.00 for every page over the first five (5) pgs
# Add $3.00 for every page over the first thirty (30) pgs