The Franklin County Clerk’s office has deeds and mortgage records dating back to 1795. Indexing for liens/encumbrances start in January of 1981. We also have wills indexed back to 1795.
Records maintained in this office also include:
- Power of Attorney
- Fixture Filings
- Marriage Licenses
- Plats (some surveys) – imaging started 01/01/2004 (Full Size Copies available $3 for B/W and $5 for color)
- Restrictions on subdivisions – In rolodex and on computer
- Disability judgments
- Veteran’s Discharge (DD214)
Our computer records go back to January of 1981. The rolodex ends 12/31/2010. Anything after that must be searched on the computers. Public access terminals are located in the Deed Room.
These fees do not include charges for copies. If we mail copies postage will be added. If you make your own copies while in our office the fee is $.50 per page. (All certified copies are $5.00)
*** All of the following fees are for up to 3 pages. Additional pages are $3 each.
Open Records Policy
Open Records Requests will be processed according to the following policy:
- A request should be submitted in writing, and will need to include the following elements:
- The name, address, and signature of the person submitting the request.
- A description of the records to be copied or inspected.
- A phone number and/or email address is not required but may help process your request.
The request should be sent to the Franklin County Clerk at:
315 W. Main Street,
Frankfort KY 40601
The request may be hand-delivered, mailed or sent via fax to (502) 875-8718, during regular office hours.
- A determination will be made within three (3) working days from the date an application is received (excepting Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays) regarding approval of the request, and the requestor will be notified in writing of the decision within the three (3) day period.
- Applicants requesting copies of public records for a commercial purpose KRS 61.874 must provide a certified statement to the Franklin County Clerk stating the commercial purpose for which the records will be used. If approved, applicants will be required to enter into a contract with the Franklin County Clerk. The contract will state the fee required by the Franklin County Clerk to produce the copies, including labor and production costs.
- Certain items may be excluded in whole or in part if they contain exempted information as prescribed under KRS 61.878.
- The Franklin County Clerk’s office is funded by collecting statutory fees. Accordingly, copies of records are first subjected to the fee schedules established by KRS 64.012 and KRS 64.019. Otherwise, copies will be charged at:
- Non-commercial document requests $ .50 per copy
- Non-commercial recordings, computer discs, tapes $5.00 per copy
- All fees, including postage if necessary, must be paid in advance.
Standard Recording Fees
Effective January 1, 2020
* Add $3.00 for every page over the first five (5) pgs
# Add $3.00 for every page over the first thirty (30) pgs